Thursday, May 29, 2008

Again... Longest And Shortest... Song Titles

I am truly amazed at the outcome of my previous Wiki/Google research, finding out the extreme of movie titles. I cannot believe someone could actually ignore making a summary of the movie in the form of a decently short title. Even my longest blog post title is way less than that. I do appreciate Narnia though, because it is merely an adaptation of a story book of the same title.

And now what? The grandfather of long song titles!! According to Guinness Book of Records, the longest song title would be:

I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin’ Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues (written by Hoagy Carmichael in 1945)

However, my further search revealed an even longer title:

The Sad But True Story Of Ray Mingus, The Lumberjack Of Bulk Rock City, And His Never Slacking Stribe In Exploiting The So Far Undiscovered Areas Of The Intention To Bodily Intercourse From The Opposite Species Of His Kind, During Intake Of All The Mental Condition That Could Be Derived From Fermentation (performed by a Swedish group named Rednex)

Weren't this the case where the song writers simply want everything to be spelt out in the title itself? Why do they ever need to write the lyrics?

The longest single-worded song title is from the movie Mary Poppins. So, what is it? It is none other than Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, lead performers being the lead actress Julie Andrews and lead actor Dick Van Dyke. Tell you what, when I was young, I had a video cassette (yes… video cassette, and not DVD, mind you) of Mary Poppins, and watched, rewound, and watched again (yesss… video cassette needs rewinding one!!!). So many times that I can actually pronounce the word without any problem. I can even do it within 1 second! Haha! How I wish I could do it for Big Mac Charm – I would be fat (from eating the burger everyday) and rich (from saving my money supposedly spent for dinner)!!!

Hmm… how about the shortest ones? There are three of them:

7 by Prince & The New Power Generation
X by Xzibit
U by Loni Clark

Since I am a Chinese, of course I have to name Chinese songs with long titles. The longest in the list is:

我们连觉也没睡决定连夜赶去拜访艾立克克莱普顿》 by Cheer (陈绮贞)

Erm… I guess this song is very new. So, I don’t quite know how this song goes. I don’t even know if it is famous. But what I know is, nothing can beat the following song, in terms of the fame of the song, the fame of the artiste who sang the song, and the fame of the title itself. It is none other than the late 80’s classic:

是不是这样的夜晚你才会这样的想起我》 by Jacky Wu (吴宗宪)

The shortest Chinese song? Since Chinese characters are not alphabetical, and many single-character Chinese words can actually carry a solid meaning by its own, it is not surprising to find tons of single-character Chinese song titles. So, if I were to list it down here, the webpage would be super long that it would hang the Internet browser whenever someone try to launch this webpage.

However, the one album which I find to be quite unique was Edmund Leung’s (梁汉文) album named 10号 (meaning "the number ten"). It comprises of ten songs, beginning with a song with title containing “0”, followed by another containing “1”, and another “2”, and so forth. The shortest title in the album is 《》 (it simply means "eight"). Innovative!

Strange stuff DOES exist under the sun!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a long song title indeed!!!
sigh... what to do...

David Chan said...

Ya... Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously strange... Hahahaha!!!